Uvalde Memorial Hospital is a 66-bed 501(c) 3 not-for-profit county hospital serving the residents of Uvalde, Zavala, Kinney, Real, and Edwards counties with a population draw if approximately 45,000 residents. The hospital is governed by a seven-member board of directors appointed by the Uvalde County Commissioners’ Court. The hospital has modern technology comparable to that used in many metropolitan hospitals and a great team of professionals.
Uvalde Memorial Hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission which sets the standard by which healthcare quality is measured. Only those hospitals that have demonstrated their commitment to providing the highest level of quality care to their patients receive the Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval. UMH is currently seeking re-designation of the Pathway to Excellence as a Nurse-Friendly Hospital.
Patient satisfaction is very important at Uvalde Memorial Hospital. According to results viewable on Medicare's Hospital Compare website, UMH takes top honors in patient satisfaction categories when compared to nine other regional hospitals, including well-known San Antonio facilities.
Compassion - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (with caring, dignity, and respect).
- Accessibility - Be available to all we serve.
Integrity - Do the right thing.
Stewardship - Be fiscally responsible and accountable. Cultivate resources entrusted to us to promote healing and wholeness.
Excellence - Exceed expectations through teamwork and innovation.
The story of UMH is one of a community taking care of its own, and emerged from humble beginnings. In 1928, Dr. George Merritt opened Uvalde’s first 7-bed hospital in his home. In 1937, Dr. Merritt built a second hospital across from his home on Martin Street and increased the number of beds to 10. The Uvalde County Health Committee invited the community to a gift shower to stock the new $11,000 hospital and the community responded generously with gifts of bed sheets, towels and mattresses..
Less than ten years later it became evident to community leaders that a larger, more comprehensive, facility was needed to meet the healthcare needs of the current residents, as well as provide an impetus for future economic growth. In February 1946, a bond issue was passed to finance the construction of Memorial Hospital on eight and one-half acres gifted to the hospital. The new $1 million, 21,000-square-foot, 39-bed hospital opened on September 20, 1949 at the corner of Garner Field Road and Puccini Lane.
By the mid-1960’s, the need for a larger and more sophisticated hospital was once again apparent and plans for a 53,000-square-foot building began. The Uvalde County Commissioners passed a resolution in January 1968 creating the Uvalde County Hospital Authority. This new political subdivision allowed the authority to sell revenue bonds to be repaid from the revenue generated from the hospital.
The current hospital was constructed next door to the original building and was built at a cost of $2 million; $1 million from a Federal Hill-Burton grant, $450,000 from the sale of revenue bonds and a generous $550,000 from community fundraising efforts. On February 2, 1971, the 62-bed hospital opened its doors with an intensive care unit, six maternity beds and expanded services. In January 1996, a $4.2 million, 27,000-square-foot expansion project for outpatient services was completed. This expansion included new spaces for The Rehabilitation Center, The Women’s and Newborns’ Center, Emergency Department, Radiology, Laboratory, Cardiopulmonary, Registration, Medical Records and Central Supply.