UMH has launched a hospital-wide initiative to support our patients and staff by bringing art to help reduce stress and loneliness, improve health, and create compassionate care spaces filled with inspiration and peace. Studies have shown that patients respond well to spaces filled with art and eases anxiety for patients, families, visitors, and staff. Art frequently focuses the patient on positive, hopeful thoughts, which can reduce the need for painkilling medication and shorten the length of stay. For patient care teams, art can be a morale booster and can help them find the patience, focus, and energy to deal with stressful situations.
The first ART CALL is for area student artists ages 4 to 22 and the topics are as follows:
- Everyday Super Heroes
A few guidelines for your submission:
- The submitted artwork must be 8 1/2” x 11” and can be landscape or portrait orientation.
- Your artwork or photo should be an original work that you have created or taken yourself that illustrates the beauty of our area.
- If your artwork or photo includes any people, you’ll need to include signed releases for each of them (download the release here).
- Photography submissions should be a minimum resolution of 3450 x 2700 pixels, and should be in JPEG or TIFF format. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may submit up to four pieces of art or photographs.
UMH will choose the art and photos to be used for display in the new hospital. Winners will be notified that their art or photos have been selected in March 2021.
The deadline for submission is January 8, 2021.
Future art calls will be announced early fall 2020.